Nowadays, this recipe had changed a bit, some added zucchini or bell pepper. Importantly the significant ingredients in this recipe are eggplant, tomato and ricotta cheese.
Pasta alla Norma
150g eggplant, sliced
1 tsp lemon juice, mix with a little bit of plain water
3 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, sliced into pieces
1 onion, diced
100g/½ cup tomato sauce
Basil, appropriate amount
150g ricotta cheese, grated
3 tbsp pasta water
160g cooked pasta
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Dunk the sliced eggplant in lemon juice, about 10 seconds at least, take out and dry up with paper towel.
2. Grill eggplant on a grill pan or broil in the oven.
3. Heat olive oil in a pan on low heat, sauté onion and garlic until soft.
4. Turn the heat to medium, add in tomato sauce and pasta water and cook for awhile.
5. After that, add eggplant and stir well.
6. Add basil and season with salt and pepper.
7. Mix the sauce with pasta, and sprinkle cheese on top while serving.
*Dunking eggplant with lemon juice may prevent oxidation.