Black Pepper Steak
4 (200g/7oz) beef tenderloin
3 tbsp olive oil
Salt to taste
6 tbsp cracked black pepper
2½oz (70g) butter
4 tbsp cognac
2 cloves garlic, smashed
2 shallots, finely diced
2 cups brown beef broth
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp softened butter
1 tbsp flour
1. Pound the beef until flattened then marinate with olive oil and salt in refrigerator overnight.
2. Take out and cook the marinated beef on a frying pan or grill pan for about 3-4 minutes.
3. Pour cognac over and ignite. After the flame is gone, remove the beef and set aside and cover with aluminium foil to keep it warm..
4. Sauté minced shallot on the same pan for about 2 minutes.
5. Pour in broth and add in garlic and tomato paste, stir until well blended.
6. While simmering until it getting boiled, mix softened butter with flour by pressing with fork in a small bowl.
7. Add the butter mixture into the sauce and stir quickly until the sauce is thickened. If the sauce isn’t thick enough after a few minutes add another butter mixture.
8. Pour over the steak before serving.