6 oz bacon, sliced into about ¼ inch thick and 1½ long
1 tbsp olive oil or cooking oil
3 lb lean stewing beef, cut into 2-inches cubes, cried with paper towel
1 carrot, sliced
1 onion, sliced
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
2 tbsp flour
3 cups of a full-bodied young red wine (Julia’s selection, Chianti)
2-3 cups brown beef stock
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 cloves garlic
½ tsp thyme
A crumbled bay leaf
Parsley for garnishing
1. Preheat oven to 450’F.
2. Sauté bacon in the oil for 2-3 minutes to brown lightly, set aside on a side dish.
3. Sauté a few at a time, in the hot oil until nicely browned on all sides, add it the bacon.
4. In the same fat, sauté vegetables. Pour out the fat.
5. Place them all into a casserole and toss with salt and pepper. Then sprinkle flour on it and toss again cover the beef lightly with flour.
6. Set casserole uncovered in middle position of preheated oven for 4 minutes. Toss the meat and return to oven for 4 minutes more. (this browns the flour and covers the meat with a light crust.
7. Remove casserole, and turn oven down to 325’F.
8. Stir in the wine, and enough stock so that the meat is barely covered. Add in the rest of the ingredients.
9. Then cover the casserole and set in lower third of preheated oven. Regulate heat so liquid simmers very slowly for 3-4 hours. The meat is done when a fork pierces it easily.