There are two kinds of tortilla, one is Corn Tortilla and another is Flour Tortilla.Tortilla is really a useful and delicious. It can be used for Tacos, Fajitas, Burritos, Enchiladas, Tortilla Soup and more of it.
It really startled me, because it had been introduced since 300BC!!
How to make...
Homemade Flour Tortilla
2 tsp baking powder
3½ (525g) cups flour
1 tsp salt
7 tbsp (3.5oz/100g) vegetable shortening or corn oil
1 cup warm water
1. Mix whole ingredient except warm water.
2. Pour in the water and start to knead the dough.
3. Cover with clean cloth and let it rest for 15 minutes.
4. After that, divide it into few portions with 1.5 ounce (43-45g) each. And then, rest for a few minutes again.
5. Take a tortilla ball and press it on a clean table, then roll it and turn 45 degree and roll, do the same 2 more times.
6. Heat up on a hot pan and flip it.
How to make...
Mexican Tortilla Pie
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large red onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
500g beef mince
1 small red capsicum, finely chopped
125g can corn kernels, drained and rinsed
2 tsp Mexican chilli powder
415g can dice tomatoes
½ cup torn fresh coriander leaves
4 salsa-flavored tortillas
1½ cups grated cheese
1 large tomato, deseeded, finely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 180’C. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Reserve 2 tbsp onion. Add garlic and remaining onion to pan. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until soft. Add mince. Cook, breaking up mince with a wooden spoon, for 8 minutes or until browned.
2. Add capsicum, corn and chilli powder. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until capsicum is just tender. Stir in diced tomatoes. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer, stirring, for 5 minutes or until mixture is thick. Add half the coriander. Season with salt. Stir to combine. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool.
3. Place a 6cm-deep, 20cm round spring-form pan on a baking tray. Place 1 tortilla in base of pan. Spread one-third of the mince mixture over tortilla. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup of cheese. Repeat layers twice with remaining tortillas, mince mixture and cheese, finishing with 1 tortilla. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
4. Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is golden. Set aside for 5 minutes before removing from pan.
5. Meanwhile, combine chopped tomato, reserved onion and coriander in a bowl. Serve pie with tomato mixture.